Thursday, March 29, 2012

Corruption slows aquisition: Antony

Defence Express Question to the Defence Minister: Aritllery is a critical area of shortage for the Indian Army and the issue has been flagged by the Indian Army Chief General VK Singh as well. But as thing stands India has blacklisted four foreign gun-makers. So where are we going to source our guns from?

Defence Minister replies - You are trying to corner government on both sides - first you say we are not speeding up and then on corruption charges. Even those of you who think I am slow I want to say that I do not want to take chances. I cannot throw any complaint in the basket. If I exercise it will take some time. Do not corner me on both counts. For the last two years we have spent the whole budget.

Blacklisting vendors in certain categories has limited our option but what can we do? We are always telling them that Indian system is transparent. If they try to corrupt people we will take action.

Nalanda Ordnance Factory has also been delayed. OFB (Ordnance Factory Board) is trying to find a solution. What can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment